So I’ve been getting some questions on when I’ll be posting an update and a full run down of the events from my summit push and ultimately my desperate retreat from Camp 3 at 27,000ft/8300m. I’ve sat myself down in a local café to finish it up, hopefully I’ll have it posted by this afternoon.
As for where I am currently, I returned to California on the 4th and am staying with family while I finish recovering, hopefully by the end of the month I’ll be fully healed up. I’ve been speaking with a specialist looking at what caused this incident and how I can prevent or mitigate the impact of something like this happening again in the future. Currently my condition is pretty good, I’ve still got a small cough and my energy still isn’t 100%. My lungs are clear so the cough is probably due to a secondary infection that my doctors think might have been in my system prior to my summit push.
Anyway, my plan is to have my insights regarding my summit push posted by this afternoon. It’s probably healthy for me to write down the events – and how I felt at the time – but I can’t say I’m enjoying the reliving of it; which is the main reason behind the delay in posting I suppose. Also I’ll post up some videos in which I’m obviously HAPE’ing the fuck out, they’re sorta interesting for sure.
What’s next? Well, I’m looking forward to getting back at it! This summer I’ll be guiding for Sierra Mountaineering International in the Sierra Nevada – my home range. I’m really looking forward to getting back to work! Also, I got the all clear to return to the Himalaya from my specialists – so I’m thinking about my next project; maybe Shisha Pangma by a new route / link up which I’ve previously climbed on to 6500m… After two seasons now of being shut down, Annapurna and the earthquake then Everest and the HAPE out I would be lying if I said I wasn’t looking for some redemption up there.
For now, I’ll get back to penning the full run down of events from Everest and it should be up later today.